Photos

Photos
Nokia 2720 unless otherwise noted.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Step Up

Today I got up at 4:45 AM, had some coffee and some bland oatmeal with cinnamon only (no other sweeteners) and began the morning with some basic stretches which I really hate. I am so impatient with stretching and I hate it so much. I hear people say that they really enjoy stretching. This is going to take some work.

I left my place at 6:00 AM in the dark in search of a place to go for a jog where I would not be looked at as a suspicious character. Well, there is the park, but it was too dark. Then there is the beach. There are plenty of people out there and this looks like the place for an early jog except that you have to pay to park. What the hell is that about? Pay to park at 6:00 AM when the spaces are wide open? I couldn't bring myself to do it as I need to establish a routine. It will be a while before I will be able to run to the beach. So, since the sun was just starting to peak over the mountains, I decided to give the park another try before I ended up spending the morning wasting gas looking for a place to run.

It was fairly cold, about 43 degrees, but felt colder. I set my heart rate monitor and logged the time. It was 6:38 AM. I broke into a slow jog and quickly found that I was already laboring. This is a clear indicator of my poor physical condition. I struggled to the 5 minute point thinking this was not going to work out. I pushed through. My heart rate was averaging about 143 beats per minute. It felt like forever before I finally hit the 10 minute mark. Here at least I knew that I was committed to at least 20 minutes as I would have to take the same route back. My body's reluctance to run finally leveled off and I made it to the 15 minute mark. This was a point for celebration as I knew that all I had to do was go back to my car and I would have completed my 30 minute target. I was exhaling a large vapor cloud and I am sure my labored breathing was affecting the ducks who had their beaks tucked trying to sleep.

Made it back to my car door at exactly 7:08 AM and I was very happy.

I came back home and made a sandwich with two whole poached eggs, three thin slices of ham, some cheddar cheese and two slices of wheat bread. It was sure good. I have been told that my cholesterol is too high and I should limit my intake of fast food and egg yolks. Typically I do eat alot of poached egg whites, but decided to keep the yolks today as a reward. Maybe it is more like a bullet in the gun but it sure tasted good.

With this second breakfast, I was able to make it by with only a small scoop of potato salad for lunch. At some point, I fell asleep for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. That was fine for this lazy Sunday but it will not work out for the work week.

Also, I feel a dull uneasiness in my heels. I don't want a repeat injury so I think I might adjust this plan to a bike ride every other morning. I'll have to see what the bike ride does for the heart rate.

I am planning a repeat of yesterday's dinner tonight as the steaks came packaged two together.

No comments:

Post a Comment